Building a link profile has become an integral part of any industrial digital marketing strategy. However, finding methods to get backlinks seems incredibly difficult for most businesses, mainly because they don’t follow consistent link building tactics.
To help address this issue, below is a list of the most effective link building tactics for B2B companies. Start implementing them today to get backlinks and improve your SEO backlink strategy!
Why You Want Backlinks in the First Place
Before we dive into our list, let’s review why you want backlinks in the first place.
- Backlinks increase your search engine rankings. If your content has quality links from other sites, it naturally ranks higher with search engines.
- Google indexes your site whenever you update something (e.g., new blog post, video, or comments). While search bots are crawling your site, they index your site for backlinks. The more links you get, the higher your site’s crawl rate, which is good for your SEO.
- Backlinks also bring you referral traffic. The more popular or relevant the sites are that are linking to yours, the higher the passthrough rate of traffic to your site.
- Backlinks increase your brand authority: If you can get popular links from authority sites, this will help increase your brand authority.
- You can start to create new relationships with strategically guided link building tactics. When your audience reads good content on another site and sees a backlink to your site, they will definitely come and check out your site. If you have options for engaging them directly — such as joining your newsletter — you can begin to build a relationship.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the specific link building tactics that really make a difference.
1. Wikipedia Articles
The opportunity with Wikipedia lies primarily with adding links to existing articles on the site. Do a quick search on Wikipedia for keywords that are relevant to high-value content you have. Assuming a page pops up, identify if there are any gaps in the Wikipedia article that you could address by providing a summary and link to the high-value resource you have in mind.
Keep in mind that links on Wikipedia are no-follow links. However, Google probably still considers them a valuable source of referral traffic, which also impacts SEO.
2. Icon Sets
If your company has a designer, ask them to create a custom icon sets for your brand. Then, connect with some of the different services that allow you to upload icons for download. Just ask users to leave a link to your site somewhere on the page where the icons are used.
3. Skyscraper Content
The author of this link building tactic is Brian Dean, an expert in the field of search engine optimization and the founder of the well-known SEO resource Backlinko. The approach can be summarized so: Look for content that has a large number of links. Then, create your own content that has a similar theme. Notify users who referred to the previous content about the appearance of new, interesting, relevant — and presumably better — material.
People love sharing infographics. Plus, it can be a great way to extend blog content in a way that is much less time-consuming than creating a new, versioned post for every site where you want to get a backlink.
Start by creating an engaging infographic. Send an email to the owners of relevant sites asking if they can publish it. You can even write a short introductory paragraph explaining the essence of the graphic.
5. Guest Blogging
This link building tactic can have the most significant impact on organic rankings.
The main purpose of guest posting is to spread new, innovative tactics. Furthermore, an interesting presentation of exciting, relevant content contributes to obtaining links to the resource. Users will naturally want to get more information about the product or service and follow the specified link.
6. Replacing Mentions with Links
This is a low-cost link building tactic that involves tracking brand mentions and asking the administrators behind the sites that have mentioned your brand for a link to your site.
To start, set up Google Alerts or another tool to track your company mentions. You will receive an email every time a brand or company name is mentioned. From there, you’ll have to do a little digging to get the contact information for someone in charge of the publication in question. Once you identify an emal address or phone number, reach out to them to request a link.
7. Buying Backlinks
You can buy backlinks as well. Be careful, though, and make sure you buy backlinks with USDT or another reputable broker.
8. Holding Contests
Contests are great ways to increase your audience’s activity, both in terms of the level of interaction but also your number of backlinks. Contest rules can be simple (e.g., potentially receiving a prize in exchange for a link) or complex (e.g., inviting contestants to write a 1000-word essay).
Don’t stop building links after the contest is over. Show the clear winner, and if you can post the entries of all the users who participated, go ahead. Chances are, each participant will want to share your content with their audience if you acknowledge them.
9. Conference Sponsorships
Sponsoring conferences is a great way to earn backlinks from authoritative sites that are incredibly important to a particular industry. What’s more, conference sponsorship is a great way to generate leads.
It is difficult to determine which conferences to sponsor. To facilitate this task, divide the events you are considering into three categories: local, industry specific and aimed at the target audience.
- Local – increase the efficiency of local optimization
- Industry specific – great for raising brand awareness and finding potential partners
- Target audience – to put specific products or services in front of potential customers
10. Forum Posts
With forum posts, the idea is to engage with a specific problem, to assist the forum members. You shouldn’t be too promotional, though. Be sensitive to the following problems when using forum posts as a link building tactic:
- The prospect of earning a bad reputation, as a result of which forum visitors will ignore your answers
- Removal of messages by the moderator
- You don’t have to add links to every answer you provide; only do as as needed
- When you find a question that recent content on your website might answer, add a link to it, but do it naturally
Which Link Building Tactics Will You Choose?
Link building takes time but it really pays off when it comes to organic rankings. Remember that diligence and competent implementation of the proposed tactics will allow you to see organic growth. Hopefully these link building tactics will give you a strong list of possibilities to choose from as you build your link building program!